Why Christians Should Care for Creation

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thanks Be to God!

I had the honor last night of introducing now Dr. Bill McKibben, (Newly a Doctor thanks to Albion College's honorary doctorate of humane letters. I was so thankful to get to meet somebody who has really done something to advance the kingdom of God. It is humbling sometimes to be able to shake hands with somebody who has made a difference. Somebody who's passion has inspired others. His humility and his breadth of knowledge gave the campus a positive exposition to the year. Dr. McKibben's message was this, we need to reduce carbon levels in the Earth's atmosphere to 350 ppm fast. It is like the Earth has diabetes and we need to keep our numbers down. He told stories of people around the world who were chipping in and it struck him, as it struck me that people, who have done nothing to cause this problem are willing to do their part to help reverse a problem that has emerged out of industrialized nations.

The United States produces nearly 25% of the worlds yearly carbon emissions. Fascinating how quickly we pointed our long righteous fingers at China when they started using Coal, it was our waterways that Rachel Carson was referring to in Silent Spring, not theirs. Yet it is a worldly problem. Bill McKibben suggested last night that we begin to change the way we make decisions. I like the thought, because I think a lot needs to change with the way we make decisions. Not only should the environment be a good candidate for moral consideration, but I think social welfare, family structure, and justice should be prime additions to decision making process of super-national organizations worldwide.

Many people like beginning paragraphs with "we live in a world where" and I think that introduction is strangely inadequate for it's popularity. Perhaps a better substitution would be "We are actors in a world which needs us to change our script."

I pray we can rise to the occasion, or perhaps, lower ourselves. I pray we can find a way to get to 350, because we are already at 382, and the world is getting more and more interesting.

Be Blessed,
Jon

No comments: